Wednesday, June 25, 2014

AM~Erica is a Marvel...But...

So anyway...

I'm a geeky girl. I know it. I'm now proud of it. And I'm not afraid to admit it.

My geek levels to run a large gamut in the spectrum of geekery...so I know quite a bit about several different things geeky.

** Here's a guide to the difference between Geek & Nerd **



**********

Star Trek already runs in my veins (reminder HERE), and really so does Star Wars (check it out HERE). I love Dr. Seuss (if you need a refresher, click HERE). I do try to stay at least semi-fluent in other realms of geekery to keep up conversations with the kiddos, too. But when it comes to the comic universe, I tend to lean more one way than the other...usually...

I grew up with Christopher Reeves' Superman being in the limelight. Eventually, Tim Burton brought back the world of Batman in the beginnings of a movie franchise, too. Who knew that Michael Keeton would honestly be a decent Batman? Since then, Batman has become like James Bond movies: not only the toys...but it's always about WHO will play the caped crusader next! With Ben Affleck up to bat (*SNORT*...yeah...I just said that), the nerds & geeks have exploded with opinions on it! Personally, I'm in the camp that believes it will work. Just for the record.

With all the DC Comic stuff that I grew up with...heck, I even had my Wonder Woman & Super Girl Underoos as a kid (remember those?)! But I have wavered from that. I've come to be a HUGE fan of Stan Lee & the Marvel of this superhero universe he's created. It's brilliantly done...even with the villains. The crossovers have been spectacular, too.  The Avengers & The Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. are all coming together & crossing over with Spiderman & The Guardians of the Galaxy are all making their way together...where the same atmosphere contains all Marvel!
Heck...Stan Lee even had the TV show where he was to immortalize super civilians in their own alter ego hero. It was quite entertaining trying to keep up with "Who Wants to be a Superhero?" to see who would be the reigning champ to get their own Stan Lee comic book.

...geeks, too.


Here is my only real disappointment with Marvel: even though there are several female "heroes" & superhumans/mutants...not really any of them have been lifted up to stand alone. Black Widow is PART of the Avengers & just really excels at what she does. Even Storm & Rouge are part of the X-Men. What's up with that? And that's just the tip of the iceberg. There's SO many more than that!

As I have been running (reminder HERE), I have been thinking of running & race outfits (some thought process HERE) that would be great, especially with tutus. But, I don't always wear the tutus since those are reserved for race days. But I've been needing a little extra motivation for just the training runs.

I have been researching & noticing a boost in tutu superhero running outfits. And I love them! But I've seen them more drawn to to Iron Man, Captain America, Superman & Batman (per se)...you get the idea. A lot of feminized male heroes. Which is FINE! Even if you took Super Girl & Bat Girl (ugh..."girl"), they are feminized versions of Superman & Batman. Amm-i-rite?

Then there is Wonder Woman. Where is she in all of this? She's stand alone. She's awesome. And no one can seem to give her the respectful reboot she deserves. She's supposed to make a cameo, apparently, in the new Superman/Batman movie to try to help lead up to a Justice League gathering...but c'mon! WHERE'S THE RESPECT?



Wonder Woman (that's right...WOMAN) got stuck in my head. I did find a few gals in running outfits inspired by this strong female superhero. And I wanted in on it! And I began reminiscing about my Wonder Woman Underoos when I was 4 or 5 years old...

So, I found some leggings (that I actually got for a different reason, but they work beautifully), I searched out a sleeveless top or tank I could afford, some socks to top off the order, and a gold-colored Bondi Band to give it a boost.

Though it's a race outfit in progress...I wanted to use it as some motivation for some hills. I have this race coming up that is just one giant hill...that we hit twice. That's just for the 5k...those doing the 10k has to double up on that! Geez! And since my 'hood is filled with hills...my hubby & I started tackling them to build up a bit for this race...
And after I got my WW tank & socks, plus the Bondi Band, I threw it all on with the leggings for a hilly 5k training run...



You know what? Even though my hubby just looked at me like I was crazy & said, "Nice get-up." I just thanked him & continued to get ready to go out the door to run. And I hit those hills like they were almost nothing! I felt SO good...I could've hit another hill! But I didn't want to overdo it with the race coming. But I felt nearly invincible! I ended my training run SMILING! I even got weird looks from neighbors...but I think they were just jealous they couldn't be Wonder Woman, too. Even the dudes...I'm sure of it!
When I got back, my hubby looked at me (since he'd been following my run online) and said, "Must have been the Wonder Woman outfit."

Well yes...I think so, too.

My following training day did not feel as good...but I was trying to keep it a bit shorter as I build to the race. So today, even though I didn't have a full-on superhero outfit...my socks came in a variety of DC characters. So, I opted for the Batsocks today. I paired them up with my gray Beast Mode Bondi Band from RunJunkEes. And I felt pretty good!



Even though I'm a Marvel universe kind of chic...I almost deferring back to my DC Underoos days. I'm thinking of Super Girl & Bat Girl outfits to just do training runs in.

And then...let the neighbors talk...
...whatever it takes to motivate...
Amm-i-rite?

In the meantime...c'mon Stan! At least one superchic to be stand-alone. Seriously...

Stay tuned...

God Bless, AM~Erica

No comments :

Post a Comment