Monday, September 9, 2013

Allow AM~Erica Help You Ready Yourself for T'nLAP

So anyway...

As you probably know, I am strangely stupid-stoked for the prep of TLAP Day!

I am continuing to gather event & promotional information for you all to be able to join in more easily & really enjoy a holiday like this!

Do be sure to read my previous post, HERE, to help get some ideas & read about some of the things happening already. But I do have some updates, and some other ways to help you brush up for the day.

As for those who may be in the Champaign, IL area on September 19th, my fabulously pirate wench friend got back with me about their GYPSY ROSE PIRATE SHIP! For the 2nd year in a row, the Gypsy Rose (landship) will be making an appearance at the University of IL there. And believe me when I say it's something you do NOT want to miss!

And I've been waiting for the announcement from the REAL PIRATES EXHIBIT at Union Station in KC. They have something planned for Talk Like a Pirate Day! However, they have not yet gotten back with me...so I will update this post once the information is shared! I hope it's worth the anticipation...
I will share it with you either way & let you decide.

As for Krispy Kreme, the "official participation list" does not include all participating stores! My hubby was so sweet this morning to surprise me with pumpkin donuts & a pumpkin spice latte from there! YUM-YUM! And then he did say that our local store (which was not on the official participation list) has the decals & fliers up in the store for TLAP day! Looks like they are participating again! Woo-Hoo! So if your store was not on the "official list", call or double check with your particular store just to make sure.

Now then, I had to share that I had the most hilarious email come to me from my Long John Silvers inquiry. I did get a surprisingly fast response from the VP of Operations, Tony Lukasavage (What a great pirate name...amm-i-rite?):


~~~~~

'Erica,

Thanks for your interest in Long John Silver’s and yes, we will continue to celebrate “Talk Like a Pirate Day” every September 19.  You’re invited to come to your local LJS and give us your best “Arrrr!”

Tony'


~~~~~


I was thrilled & entertained! But I also got this hilariously crazy email from a more general LJS account a couple of days later. It was from LJSCARES (which I totally read as 'LJ Scares'...but whatever). And this is exactly how it came thru to my inbox:

~~~~~


'Ahoy Erica! You'll be glad to know that "International Talk Like a Pirate Day" is celebrated annually on September 19!  Participating LJS restaurants  will again have the free fish offer this year!  Here be some "Piratey" Expressions that ye need know if ye want to not be mistaken for no landlubber!
* Ahoy Used to hail a ship or a person or to attract attention.
* Arr! / Argh / Arrgh! / Yarr! / Harr! etc. A general piratical term - can be used with anything.
* Avast! Used as a command to stop or desist.
* Belay Used in the imperative as an order to stop.Belay there!
* Blimey! Used to express frustration.
* Bucko A friend.
* Dead men tell no tales Phrase explaining why pirates leave no survivors.
* Gangway! Used to clear a passage through a crowded area.
* Hang the jib To look ill-tempered or annoyed. To pout.
* He's gone to Davy Jones's locker He is dead. (Davy Jones's locker is also the bottom of the sea)
* Me hearties My Comrade; boon companion; good fellow; a term of familiar address and fellowship among sailors. Captains often refer to their entire crew this way.
* Shiver me timbers! An expression of surprise.
* Sink me! An expression of surprise.
* Smartly Quickly.
* Splice the Mainbrace! To have a Drink, or perhaps several.
* Yo-ho-ho Completely meaningless, but fun to say.

ENJOY!!!'


~~~~~

See? Fun...but so crazy!

However, I just need to point out that "Arrrr" (or any form thereof) is used in the affirmative and an in general response. If you add the 'G' to the end of it, it becomes the negative response or showing discontentment. So take note of that.

If you want more in brushing up on some pirate speak, you can head over to the official & original INTERNATIONAL TALK LIKE A PIRATE site! You'll find some help in this area, like:

Pirate Speak in ENGLISH; in GERMAN; in DUTCH (not sure why Spanish isn't here yet)

Here's also an ENGLISH-TO-PIRATE TRANSLATOR (although, it didn't help me out as much, but fun)

And don't forget to get some PIRATE PICK UP LINES for the unattached buccaneers


Now that you got some ways to sound like a pirate, but you don't want to TOTALLY dress like a pirate, but still want to look the part? There is a way I can help! I have some inspiration for you from a thing call Disneybound! The chic on this tumblr site helps put together everyday street wear to reflect & inspired by Disney characters, and has branched out into other brands, too.  So I give you some of the inspired pirate outfits, via Pinterest, to help inspire your September 19th look (click each picture to take you to the Pinterest layouts for inspiration):





.






OK...if these are not enough for you, click HERE for a wider Pinterest Disneybound selection of ideas; click HERE for a more general Pinterest selection of inspiration. Or you can go right to my own Pinterest board collection of PIRATEBOUND outfits. 

Hopefully this will at least get the creative juices working for how you would work pirate wear for the everyday wear. Or...go all out like I do! *snort*



Or...you can just throw on a skull/jolly roger t-shirt, throw on a ruffle shirt, put on a hoop earring &/or wear a bandanna on your head. Whatever. Just have fun!

So do you now have plans working for September 19th? How do you plan to celebrate this fun holiday?
Need some more inspiration? I have a Pinterest board just for TLAP DAY IDEAS!

And if you know of any events happening in your area, please share with the class! 

In the meantime, I will keep working on readying my ship: the Sea-Sick Crocodile. (But, of course!)

Stay tuned...

God Bless, AM~Erica

********** UPDATE **********

First, in KC & in Philly should be interesting as they play the featured Thursday Night Football game that night. Time to incorporate some Chiefs in the ol' pirate wear. But I digress...

I finally heard back from the Real Pirates Exhibit at Union Station! Here's is what they are offering for TLAP Day (directly from the email sent to me):


Union Station Kansas City and Krispy Kreme Doughtnuts® are teaming up to celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day! Visit any local Kansas City Krispy Kreme location onSeptember 19 and enjoy special savings!
Talk Like A Pirate
Give your best pirate impersonation and receive one free Krispy Kreme doughnut and $2 off regular admission to the Real Pirates exhibition at Union Station.*
Dress Like A Pirate
Come dressed in your best pirate garb and receive one free dozen of Krispy Kreme doughnuts and $5 off regular admission to the Real Pirates exhibition at Union Station. 
Three pieces of pirate attire required.
*
*Krispy Kreme Doughnuts® offers only valid September 19, 2013. Real Pirates coupons valid for regular adult and child admission September 19-22. Valid one per person. Not valid with any other offers or discounts. 


~~ So...there you have it! Start brushing up on your Piratese, find your attire, figure your grub & grog, and set sail for a fun-filled day!

No comments :

Post a Comment