Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Self-Image a Big Deal to AM~Erica

So anyway...

I am all about promoting better self image for everyone. Girls really need it, but so do the guys.

Just the other day I had to suck it up to make my point in another blog post, but I saw something today that made me scratch my head.

Not too long ago, there was media coverage of a very brave & outspoken 14-year-old girl who is such a big advocate for self image of girls, she staged a photoshoot stunt in front of Seventeen magazine headquarters to try to convince them to feature just one spread a month that is completely photoshop & airbrush free. I applaud her in her efforts. I do hope more than just Seventeen magazine listens.

We are told to achieve perfection in how we look. I do try to look good & put together...but I am nowhere near "perfect" in the media sense. If we all followed the Hollywood-type guidelines, we'd all be plastic Barbies & Kens. And we'd all look very much alike. UGH!

The whole elective-only plastic surgery bugs me. I know there are those who have done it, but I want you to remember that we were all made in God's image. God doesn't appear just one way, but in a multitude of ways. Mostly in our imperfections. They are supposed to keep us humble. And then we change what God has made us.

Along these lines, Dove has their stance on promoting self image & that we should all feel beautiful in our skin & the imperfections. I love this campaign. It's gone on for years...and it should continue.

However, I have a bone to pick with Dove. Remember when I pointed out something I saw today? It was a Dove commercial. It was about boosting the confidence in girls so they grow up confident. What a great message, right? Here is their current Social Mission commercial/video that I want you to pay attention to:

Why Do 6 Out of 10 Girls Stop Doing What They Love?


OK...did you see what I saw? I know they are trying to get a particular point across, but they went against what they stand for in this very video. All the girls in the video are super adorable. But there are two very awkward girls. They put them in not a good situation. Then the video shows self esteem being promoted in very adorable girls.

This video, though inspiring, makes me sad. The awkward girl self-consiously pulling up her swimsuit & the awkward Asian girl who is shown as a loner in a very frumpy outfit. It makes me want to go hug those two, specifically.

All the other girls are at least shown in a positive light. Dove, your message got across when you say the first set of girls may drop out of what they are involved in...but to throw the other two girls in the mix in such an awkward view wasn't right. Shame on you! Why couldn't these two girls be a part of the group in the end? Why?

People, please remember that every girl, every child & every human needs the self esteem boost. Everyone is beautiful as they are...BEFORE surgery. We all need that reminder.

Dove, you were so close...but keep up the campaign & know that placing ANY girl into a sad & awkward light goes against what you promote.

Hugs to everyone reading this & know you are beautiful! And also...

"...you are good enough, you are smart enough, and, doggonit, people like you!"

Stay tuned...

God Bless, AM~Erica

No comments :

Post a Comment