Wednesday, January 30, 2013

AM~Erica Can Eat Some Interesting Stuff

So anyway...

Even though I'm STILL TRYING TO GET WELL, there's these things living in the house that think that I still need to act like a mom. *sigh* It's a good thing I love my kids...or they'd be on their own trying to find their way around the house & out the door early in the mornings. Yeah...I don't think they'd be able to do it just yet.

But, I have tried to make sure they stay healthy or get them back on the path of GETTING & STAYING WELL. They may not like it, but I do it! Cuz I'm still The Mom!

While doing Super Mom duties, Lil Guy has decided that he wants to start taking lunch to school again. He hasn't done this for quite some time, so of course he would pick a time I'm feeling all crummy to pick this back up...but it's fine...IT'S FINE!

As I was finding out what he wanted in his lunch, he told me he wanted a sandwich with ham & turkey with some [turkey] pepperoni, cheese, mayo, BBQ sauce, ketchup & lettuce. That's a good sandwich choice! So I started making it. We have shredded lettuce that I've used, so I tossed some on the sandwich when a piece dropped off the bread onto the counter. I picked it up & ate it..cuz...yum...then it triggered a memory:

*DOO-Doo-doo, DOO-Doo-doo, DOO-Doo-doo...* 
(Imagine Wayne's World style flashback)

Back in high school, I had some weird habits. But what teenager doesn't have weird habits? Amm-i-rite?

I do enjoy breakfast. I could eat breakfast at any point of the day. But there's something that was in my teenaged brain...you know the one with the frontal lobes shut off...that made me start digging for a different breakfast. For quite some time, I ate a sandwich for breakfast. Not a breakfast sandwich on a biscuit or English muffin with sausage & egg. Nope, not for me. Instead...I did this:

I toasted 2 slices of bread, put on some mayo, cheese & lettuce. That's it. Nothing extravagant or anything, but it was what it was. A total BLT, but minus the B...and, well, the T.

Imagine my sandwich looking something like this...but for real.

Just popping that little piece of shredded lettuce in my mouth this morning while making a sandwich with the bread, cheese & mayo involved, too, totally threw my brain back to the early 90's. Weird how we do that.

But it doesn't stop there. It was my high school brain & teenage problem solving (scary sounding...I realize this) that led me to one of my very favorite snackage that I still enjoy to this day. It's one of those things that you might need to tilt your head & squint to figure out...but don't knock it til you try it!

Are you ready to find out?

Brace yourselves...

It's odd & delicious...

I do love me some carrots and caramel! Seriously! I'm not kidding! I keep baby carrots on hand with some caramel sauce cups. Portion controlled deliciousness!


You might want to know where that comes from, right? I didn't just create it in my teenaged brain...remember? I said there was "problem solving" involved...

My mom taught 1st grade for close to a million years. OK, not that long...but a really long time. I know she taught several of you, too. So those of you who were ever in her class, or had another 1st grade teacher at her school, probably did a Johnny Appleseed lesson. It usually culminated with carmel apples.

I looked forward to that section ending, cuz I knew the lazy cooker would be coming home with leftover melted caramel & maybe some leftover apple slices, too. YUM-MY!

However, this one year...the lazy cooker made it back home...with only reminisces of caramel caked to the sides & bottom. *sigh* Little heathens ate it all...or some of the adults couldn't help themselves either. Barbarians, I tell ya! And there was not a single apple slice left either. I. Was. Not. Happy.

However...I did notice that my mom brought home some carrot sticks. You know...little, mini scraping rods...perfect for scraping caramel traces off the sides of a lazy cooker...

So...I picked up a carrot, reached into the inside of the lazy cooker & began to scrape off the melted caramel onto my newfound tool. After several delicious takes of it...I decided to try something...scrape the caramel & BITE it off the carrot.

You know what? It was SO good!!! So...I finished the carrot sticks AND cleaned the melted caramel from the lazy cooker. AND? I found me a new snack.

Go ahead...go try it! Seriously!

Once you do...let me know what you think. Then, you can thank me for giving you the head's up.

Just FYI...my kiddos love it now, too.

I'm sure I have other weird things I eat. Teen Boy makes a thing of finding the weirdest soda suicides ever...and strangely brags about it. Pretty sure Teen Girl has weird things too...we just never see them.

For a while, Lil Guy was putting mayo on his brats & hot dogs.

I know other family members who have weird food stuffs, too.
(I really don't want to discuss the potato chips with scrambled eggs & mayo thing.)

Keep in mind...there were no pregnancy cravings involved in ANY of these.

So...anyone else? What's some of your food likings that would make people question what you eat? Go ahead! Share with the class in the comment section, here on the blog. How did it begin? We could start a whole new culinary revolution!

Stay tuned...

God Bless, AM~Erica

No comments :

Post a Comment